Monday, March 31, 2008

My Spring Garden

There's nothing so lovely as the anticipation of the Spring garden. It's the way nature teases with bright sun and warm days, followed by a bout of snow, and sprinkled with a cold rain. And yet, each day, as I inspect my garden, I see the hint and the hope of something green, something breaking through the hard earth ever so slightly and slowly. Right now, I can tell that the lavender has made it through the winter, but the rosemary was dead and had to be pulled out and discarded. I can see the beginning of ground cover below the barren Golden Chain tree, and tiny buds on the little lilac bush.

My neighbor has crocuses - yellow, white, and purple - near her garage. Every year those crocuses announce the official "opening day" for the gardener in me. Soon, the copper planter will be put back into the wrought iron window box, and I'll be adding new, rich soil. I'll start wandering around garden stores and will insist on buying something - because I can never walk away without even the smallest garden item.

In the past year I have fallen in love with gazing balls. I have a small blue iridescent one, and a glass red one that I picked up at the Corn Hill Festival last summer. I would like one of those big gazing balls, but my garden is too small. Perhaps I'll get one for the grave site - along with some chimes. The graves could use something new and fun.

I have plans for the back as well - beyond my own property - on the other side of the fence that borders our place from the carriage house. I'll add more of Jonny's bamboo, and will plant a little shrub or two. I am really hoping that the saplings I trimmed last year will bloom wide and tall. It will be so nice to have foliage privacy.

I am most anticipating the grape vine that I planted late last summer. I hope it made it through the winter and can be encouraged to climb the trellis! Grapes will add to the memory of family gardeners no longer feeling the soil of earth - my Grandpa Barbato (Fig trees), my Grandpa Carl (roses), my dad (gladiolas, snap dragons, and pachasandra), and my brother, Jon (bamboo, lobelia, geraniums, and more, and Ron's grandma - lilies - lots of lilies!

One of the best gifts of my heritage is the love of gardening. And this summer, I get to work in my daughter and son-in-laws San Diego garden! I'm so excited. I'll be able to play with plants that cannot be grown in the East.

Yep, it's a great time of year. Stay tuned for updates and pictures....

2 comments:

Anooja said...

Hii Carlene

Nice to read ur blog..
Welcome !!!!

Srinidhi said...

Hi Carlene,

Good to read ur views in the blog. Keep writing regularly!